Monday 25 March 2013

a little piece of heaven

The 'bookmarks' tab on my laptop is filled with hundreds of sites and blogs covering everything from the latest in butt shaping workouts, quick and easy eats, and vegetarian friendly recipes, to furniture warehouses, euro-pop music, shopping sites, an online medical forum, and various job sites.

In my room alone, there are magazines, clothes, shoes, hair supplies, the contents of my 'weekend' purses (ie. lipstick, receipts, credit cards, loose changes, bobby pins, shredded bottle labels ((because apparently I do that now…)) and mismatched earrings), shoppings bags (some still full, others empty), wrapping paper, packing tape, scissors, markers (I recently wrapped a present for a long distance BFF of mine and have yet to clean up the remains), and I'm embarrassed to say… empty alcohol bottles. 
All of this and more collects day after day to decorate the once 
beautiful deep brown carpet in my room. 

My bathroom is surprisingly clean (probably because my mother considers this territory hers and has set fair, yet incredible high standards for cleanliness), with the exception of the counter space…
Hair brushes and products, makeup and remover, and half of my 'nail salon' equipment is constantly cluttering up what little space I had to start with. 

To say that I have a hard time organizing my life, would be an understatement. 

However, there is one aspect of my life that is now so beautifully displayed in the most fab and convenient way possible. And I must say, I absolutely love it. 
It's one of the best things I've ever made.
Yes, that's right - I made it.
The girl who struggles with assembling the damn Kinder Surprise toys, 
actually built something.
I saw something similar on a few different blog sites, and finally decided to go for it.
It was quick, relatively easy (thanks Home Depot and Dad), and worth every penny.
And that's the best part! I had scoped out Home Scence, Urban Barn, Costco, Walmart, and even a few specialty stores for a shelf that would accommodate my growing collection, but they were all around the sixty dollar mark, and did not have anywhere near enough shelves. 
So I made it my rainy weekend project et voila!
The Nail Shelf.


I realize that two of the shelves are not quite perfect, but hey, I'm no carpenter. 
Here is a link to the lovely lady who inspired my shelf…

The shelf supplies cost me under $25 (including wood, nails, glue, and paint) and took around two hours to fully assemble. 

**Note : I used a different type of wood than Dulce Candy did. I found the faux-wood board that she used a bit to flimsy for my liking, so I opted for a thin cut plywood. And along with the glue, I used a few nails to hold the shelves in place (a suggestion from my father - long time craftsman). **






Questions or comments, leave them below!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment